Hooray! After spending most of my life being measured by my ability to memorize math equations that I’ll never use and being tested on the symbolic nature of books like Silas Marner I am done with school forever! But…so now what do I do? Yes, I am indeed terrified. But I’m sure that everyone who has graduated has felt that one moment around their time of official introduction into the world. So we do what everyone else has to do, we get our resumes and start that job search. Let’s do this!
With all that being said, here are a few tips and tricks that I’ve picked up along my way through my 16 years of education.
- Don’t compare yourselves to others.
- Just like don’t compare your Chapter 1 to someone else’s Chapter 20. We’re all on our own journeys here.
- Focus on what makes you different, not just what you’re good at. What makes you different is your super power.
- It’s okay to be scared, but don’t let it consume you.
- Have a nice LinkedIn profile, with a profile pic that’s not a selfie of you or a picture with other people. Also,
- Keep your social media classy.
- The universe has your back. What’s meant to be will be.
- Karma is a real thing, let that be a blessing and a warning to you.
- Call your mom. Tell her what you had for lunch that day and ask how her day is going.
- Always keep reading and keep learning. There are no more textbooks that we will be forced to read, so pick up some fiction or even non-fiction that sounds good to you.