In honor of my 21st birthday today, I thought I would share with you 21 things I have learned in these past long long 21 years of life!
- It’s okay to put yourself first.
- You can always find your way back home.
- If you feel sad, pet a cat or a dog.
- Remember that everyone is fighting their own personal battles.
- Call your mom. Just do it.
- Reading a good book before bed is a great way to help you fall asleep.
- It’s okay to get help when you need it.
- Leggings are not pants. I’m sorry, but they’re not.
- It’s very rude to be on your phone in the middle of class. I was raised by two high school teachers, yes they do see you, and yes they do think that you’re rude. Stay home if you know you’re not going to be able to pay attention because your phone is more important to you than getting a several thousand dollar college education.
- Pick your battles, because sometimes it’s just better to take the high road.
- You are stronger than you think.
- The best way to create perfect winged eyeliner is to use tape. Sounds nutty, but it works every time.
- “Sometimes people leave you, half-way through the wood. Do not let it grieve you, no one leaves for good. “
- Keep it classy.
- Be mindful of what you post on social media. Refer to #14.
- You are never too old to read Harry Potter.
- Facebook should be a place of family and friends, not in-your-face political views mixed with cat videos.
- Traveling and experiencing other cultures is a great way to get a better perspective on life and the world around us.
- Resumes should only be one page.
- There are lots of fish in the sea. Lots and lots and lots of fish. And also some piranhas.
- Read. Learn as much as you can. Learn about the history of the world and our existence. “If you don’t know history, then you don’t know anything. You are a leaf that doesn’t know it is part of a tree. ” – Michael Crichton